French-American designer Steven Akoun strives towards an experimental design approach that blurs the boundaries between science and design. New materials and processes are becoming more and more critical in the realm of industrial design. The designer’s passion for these challenges has enabled him to create thought provoking, sustainable and radical objects.
Cultural and technical research
2D sketching & 3D modeling
Is the object:
-Answering the initial problem?
Acrylic and recycled metal filing joinery
Hi! I'm Steven,
a scientifically drawn designer seeking new challenges.
"foamation" Suspended lamps
Glass foam vases
Further exploring light difusion with glass foam
Glass foam failed tests and offcuts compositions
Vases from recycled waste glass
E. rubrum fungi activity bracelet
Research and experimentation
Acoustic tiles v2
The more you sweat, the faster it grows!
Various glass foam trial objects
Glass foam Sound dampening wall tiles
SA005 and SA006
Blown Pyrex glass and glass foam night lamps
Glass foam humidifier
Glass foam Sound dampening wall tiles
Self-sufficient cooktop for student housing
Glass foam coffee cup
Glass foam knife sharpening whetstone
Flexible silicone webcam covers
Thought provoking publishing about modern day science and technology
Recycled metal filing and acrylic joinery
Various CAD models and 3D renders
Paris Design week 2020
September 3rd - 9th 2020,
Galerie Joseph, Paris
France Design week 2020
September 1st - 15th 2020,
Boutique Perene, Rennes
No time to waste
February 6th 2020 - October 4th 2020, Ducth Design Hotel Artemis, Amsterdam
December 6th 2019 - March 1st 2020, Galerie de Rohan, Landerneau, France
dutch design week
October 17th - 27th 2019, Yksi Expo, Eindhoven
AFK's three package deal end presentation
August 30th 2019, VondelCS, Amsterdam
The glass delusion live
July 21st 2019, DordtYart, Dordrecht
Design on air
June 23rd - October 13th 2019, Grand Hornu, Mons, Belgium
June 1st - October 6th 2019, Chapelle des Ursulines and Maison des Archers, Quimperlé, France.
Internships and jobs
- Product and industrial design for clients from around the world (USA, Australia, UK, France...) for products such as an electric scooter, a wine decanter, surfboards, an eReader/tablet for children...
Approach: client briefing, brainstorming, benchmarking and trendhunting, sketching, 3D modeling, 3D rendering and technical blueprints.
Freelance DESIGN projects
September 2018 - Today. Paris
- Design of an integrated medical transportation system.
Process: client briefing, brainstorming, benchmarking, sketching, 3D modeling, 3D rendering and step by step scenario board, technical blueprints.
- Design of a connected medical tool through the same process.
Freelance INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
December 2018 - Ongoing. Paris
- Assistance during the conception and production of ingenious projects such as modified cotton candy machines that recycle plastic waste.
- Transcription and translation of interviews of designers for the publication Obliquité.
October - November 2018.
And May - June 2017. Paris
Collaboration with material researchers in the glass and ceramics department:
-Design research and production of glass foam household objects (Developed observed properties, tested different colors, textures and shapes, user experience testing...)
September 2017 - June 2018. Rennes, France
- UI and UX support for the development
of an app and a website (benchmarking, interviews, scenarios...)
- Proposal of an on campus connected community garden.
(defining specifications, 3D renderings, storyboard schemes...)
- Creation of a logo for an incubated startup.
April and June - July 2016. Paris
Machines and craft work
2D / UI-UX Design
- Years of practice with computer controlled machines such as 3D printers, laser cutters, and a CNC cutter
- Frequent handcraft of wood, metal, ceramics and glass
- Some practice of screen printing
Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Sketch and Invision
Premiere, After Effects and Vegas
Rhinoceros, V-Ray and Keyshot
Some knowledge of Grasshopper and Solidworks
French and English
2016 - 2018
2013 - 2016
2012 - 2013
2009 - 2012
Feel free to connect with me.
Or simply drop me a line
Skype: Steven Akoun
5 rue des Courcieux
Lost but not least
All rights reserved 2020 / Steven Akoun